THE ARMS TRADE BOOMS AMID GLOBAL ECONOMIC WOES; YOU WILL NEED TO ACCESS THE TEXT OFF THE TIME WEBSITE(time.com) .
DISCUSS THE REASONS WHY DISARMAMENT IS A DREAM.
BEFORE YOU DISTRIBUTE THE TEXTS, ask the students if they agree that stopping the arms race is very hard. Next, ask them what the possible reasons are. They should come up with something like this.
1. Ingrained hostilities ( ask for examples from round the globe) Here are some suggestions:
India vs. Pakistan, Northern Iraq, Turkey vs. Greece, China vs. Taiwan, Somalia
(those of Arab origin vs. those of African origin)
2. The failure of negotiations and diplomacy to bring peace. Negotiations and diplomacy may be half hearted or ineffectual resulting in continued hostilities.
NOW TIME THEM 10 OR 15 MINUTES TO READ THE TEXT quietly and highlight the important points. When they have finished discuss the points they have underlined and their reactions. The points below need to be covered:
1. The huge stockpiles of Soviet weapons and how this effects the current situation
2. The lack of control
3. The lack of will to destroy the stockpiles of Soviet weapons.( the arms industry is big business)
4. The possible solution to the problem: The European Union’s strict safety standards need to be enforced. This would reduce arms trafficking as dealers need to ship arms.
LAST OF ALL; ask them to write their essays. They will need to select a few reasons they feel are important and also think about organization. The introduction will need to include the thesis statement. They can write a two paragraph development with ingrained hostilities and the failure of peace negotiations to end hostilities thus leading to a continuation of the arms trade in one paragraph, and the fact that it has become big business thanks to the Soviet era weapons lying about in the next paragraph. The conclusion can include the solution in the text or any other they come up with.