“Many personality traits can be observed but there are other hidden forces that shape who we are”
By: Christian Jarrett
Published: BBC, 22 February 2018, http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180221-the-hidden-side-to-your-personality
Level of Difficulty: ** This is a simple level **
BEFORE YOU READ
· Bacteria can change your personality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKKZQfwzWAM
· How our microbes make us who we are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-icXZ2tMRM
· Mind altering microbes: how the microbiome affects brain and behavior https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWT_BLVOASI
1. It is a mistake to assess personality based on what we witness because…
2. Research into how personality is linked to biology has significant implications because…
3. What vision did Allport and Eysenc share? Trying to prove that…
4. What subtitle would you give the paragraph beginning “Take” and the following two paragraphs: cortisol and stress / conscientiousness analyzed / conscientiousness and cortisol / conscientiousness and stress
5. The 2017 study was able to reach more conclusive results as a consequence of more effective analysis / more accurate predictions/ more thorough research / more effective sampling.
6. The studies into conscientiousness and neuroticism prove that there is a positive correlation between…
7. Which sentence best expresses the conclusion that can be drawn from the research into conscientiousness neruroticism?
8. Where, in the paragraph beginning “The picture” would you place the following: It must be admitted more research needs to be done to better understand this causal relationship?
9. Watch the following short video and take a few notes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyTyuk482OM . We understand from this video and the text that a low resting heart rate isn’t all it is cracked up to be because such people may experience………..and …………..and as a result may engage in…………..
10. According to the relationship between chemical or physical aspects of our body and covert personality traits described in the text, it is possible / impossible to detect potential criminals even though some symptoms may be misleading/predictive/
prescriptive. (Question contributed by my assistant Sinan
11. From the realization that our character is closely linked to our character it follows that physical tests in order to…..
Write an essay describing the link between our physiology and our personality and mental health. Use the text and all the videos you have watched
THE HIDDEN SIDE TO OUR PERSONALITY; KEY AND TEACHERS’ NOTES
This fascinating but relatively simply written text highlights the latest research into the links between our microbiome and our personality. Some of the information is truly interesting and could lead to interesting discussions into the extent we can blame violent criminals for their crimes or the prevention of crime.
1. It doesn’t tell us much about the roots of personality
2. Personality is strongly associated with our future mental and physical health and longevity. (This is enough but it is fine if you add the next sentence too)
3. Psychology is grounded in physiology
4. The third
5. The second
6. Our physical and mental health
7. The personality and the microbiome are linked and this could help explain why people with a more neurotic, less conscientious personality are more vulnerable to illness than others
8. After “… in the gut and vice versa.”
9. Fearlessness and low arousal / criminal behavior (The video must be watched to be able to answer the question.
10. Measure personality