“If superior strength was suddenly available to women, how would society change? Rachel Nuwer asks researchers and gender experts for their views about an intriguing thought experiment.”
By: Rachel Nuwer
Published: 30 October 2017, BBC, http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171027-what-if-women-were-physically-stronger-than-men
Level of Difficulty: ***
BEFORE YOU READ
· It’s Reigning Men: Gender Roles and How They Hurt You | Lilia Fromm | TEDxLincoln
· The Mask of Masculinity - the traditional role of men is evolving | Connor Beaton | TEDxStanleyPark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmkFdAMFGXo
· Redefining masculinity | Shane Horsburgh | TEDxCanberra
1. Mrs. Gardner’s actions described in the first paragraph exemplify her efforts to ….
2. The underlying assumption of the thought experiment is that….
3. It is implied in the text that the difference between the females of terrestrial vertebrates and those of insects and amphibians is that ….
4. It is also implied that the superior physical strength of male terrestrial vertebrates is necessary for…
5. The future of the human race could be put in jeopardy if women were stronger than men because …..
6. The social status of men would undergo a change because…
7. In a wolf pack, the dominant members of the group get the lion’s share of the food. The same is true in lion communities. What do these animals have in common with powerfully built males of human societies?
8. What psychological changes would be witnessed in women who were physically stronger if nature took its course?
9. In what way is Fairbairn’s daughter buck the trend in her approach to men? She …
10. Strength is losing its traditional role in modern society thanks to the fact(s) that:
· A lot of what we do doesn’t depend on strength any longer
· There is more overall equality in the business world and life in general
· A lot of the work we is in front of a computer screen in the work place
· Physical strength is no longer that important in the modern world
11. The rising popularity of violent sports among American men is due to the desire of men to try and prove that…
12. The increased physical strength of women would have an impact on crime in that….
13. Fairbanks feels women have traditionally desired to seem more masculine in the workplace to avoid…
14. Why does Gardiner feel the arguments supporting gender discrimination in the workplace will shift rather than be transformed?
15. The example of Angela Merkel indicates that in the modern world the tendency to view ….
16. Women don’t really need to be physically stronger acc to Fairbairn because …
Use all you have learnt to write about how the social roles social status of men and women are changing
WHAT IF WOMEN WERE PHYSICALLY STRONGER THAN MEN? KEY AND TEACHERS’ NOTES
The issue of the changing social roles and social status of men and women is a very topical issue; especially with the inauguration of the new US president and re-election of Merkel. This partly hypothetical text analyzes the issue from every possible perspective. The essay task should not me timed so that students can write freely.
1. Exert authority and competence in a situation that was not necessarily normal
2. Gender dynamics are transformed in other ways in the real world and there are many things we take for granted.
3. The latter / female insects and amphibians have to carry hundreds of thousands of eggs
4. Competition for females
5. There would be an uptick of testosterone
6. The society would become matriarchal
7. They favor hierarchies and are prone to competitiveness
8. Traditionally male personality traits such as dominance and aggression would be enhanced in women
9. She does not feel she has to dumb herself down
10. All four
11. They are still more entitled to power
12. Instances of male harassment, violence and rape would go down but instances of female on male abuse would likely increase
13. Gender based discrimination
14. Because those in power will always struggle hard to stay in power , through whatever means they can
15. Violence and aggression as tools for maintaining control have decreased
16. Some of the shifts that such a scenario would trigger are already underway