Gossip, rumors and misinformation are often all too readily believed and spread like wild fire. Are we gullible, naïve, plain stupid or is there some other process at work? Do your research and find out. Then write an essay discussing the causes.
Familiarize yourself with the issue:
· Truth about rumors https://prezi.com/8efmrgzcuq_d/the-truth-about-rumours/
Reading material to make notes on
· The psychology of factoids http://theunboundedspirit.com/the-psychology-of-factoids-why-we-believe-in-rumors-gossip-and-urban-legends/
· The 8 ½ laws of rumor spread https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200811/the-8-laws-rumor-spread
· Gossip and rumors: different types http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/friends/rumors/article3.html
Click “Why do People do it?” “Why it Hurts; why it is Wrong” “Breaking the Chain”, “When the Rumor is about you” and “From the Mentors”
· Internet gossip, rumor and misinformation http://www.ibtimes.com/internet-rumors-gossip-and-misinformation-people-only-want-read-what-they-already-believe-693614
· Why are people so incredibly gullible?
Listen to the podcast
· A webinar: Dispelling rumors and misinformation during crises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EsfUtdMbQM