Qatar has won the bid to host the 2022 World Cup. Their wining of the bid has created something of a stir: Qatar will be the first Arab nation to take on such an organization and this in itself raises questions in some quarters. There is little doubt that the country can well afford to shoulder such a burden as it possesses 15% of the world’s gas reserves which makes it one of the richest countries in the region. However, are funds the only problem? Practical problems like the heat are going to be dealt with by holding the World Cup in January or February provided leagues can be reorganized. This leaves us with the social, cultural, intellectual and maybe even political affects a merging and rubbing shoulders of radically different communities will have. All massive movements of populations have sown the seeds of changes in many communities in the past and the best historical example is the crusades whose long term effects on many aspects of life are undeniable. This is specially the case if the communities coming in contact are from different worlds with different ways of life as in the case of Qatar. Will there be a peaceful coexistence and enjoyment of sports or will tensions spill over?
The Task: Write an essay in which you discuss the effects on communities of holding the 2022 World Cup in Qatar. Select from among the points below and feel free to add any others you wish. Remember to provide support in the form of reasons and explanations for the points you make. Also add examples whenever possible.
1. Communities coming closer together due to better understanding
2. Existing prejudices becoming more firmly entrenched
3. Greater tolerance for and acceptance of differences
4. Changes in world views on issues such as human rights, the rights of women , gay rights and the like
5. Hate crimes or similar security problems stemming from the vast differences between the host population and the guests.