Many of us are delighted when we can purchase clothes at low prices but how many of us stop to think about what makes these prices possible? Do we ever stop to think about the human cost and what in essence amounts to slave labor? The terrible accident in Bangladesh has caused renewed discussion and protestations but what is at issue here and what really needs to be done? Do your research, annotate the reading material and make notes on the videos. When you have done so, write either a problem solution or cause and effect essay. If you prefer, put it all together and make it a long essay analyzing the whole problem.
1. “India Cheap Labor Garment Industry” http://www.globalresearch.ca/india-cheap-labor-garment-export-industry/13530
2. “In Bangladesh, Corruption Kills Hundreds” http://www.transparency.org/news/feature/in_bangladesh_corruption_kills_hundreds?gclid=CKejyIWJlbcCFS7KtAodFHAAyg
3. “Europe’s Moral Quandary: The High Price of Cheap T Shirts” http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/european-companies-linked-to-collapsed-bangladesh-factories-a-897149.html
4. “The Bangladesh Factory Tragedies: Is This The End of Cheap Labor?” http://theweek.com/article/index/244016/the-bangladesh-factory-tragedies-is-this-the-end-of-cheap-labor
1. “Bangladeshi Workers Pay Price for West’s Cheap Clothes” http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22305064
2. “The Dark Underworld of Bangladesh’s Clothes Industry” http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22306135