The term “emotional or social contagion” or the spread of emotions in a group of people gained a whole new meaning with the advent of social media and once more became the focus of interest. Emotional contagion probably had survival value in the past but it can be a nuisance or even debilitating on occasion. What is emotional contagion and how can one protect from its adverse effects? Do your research and write a definition / solution essay.
Test yourself: are you susceptible?
- “The emotional contagion scale” http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/high-octane-women/201210/the-emotional-contagion-scale
Reading material to annotate:
· “What is emotional contagion?” http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-emotional-contagion.htm
· “How contagious are your emotions?” http://www.oprah.com/relationships/Emotional-Contagion-Why-Emotions-Are-Contagious
· “Are your emotions contagious?” http://life.gaiam.com/article/are-your-emotions-contagious
· “How to stop absorbing other people’s negative emotions” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/judith-orloff-md/absorbing-emotions_b_861863.html
Definition and solutions:
· “Don’t let bad friends drag you down” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-pagliarini/friends-influence_b_847768.html
Videos to watch and make notes on:
· “The hidden influence of social networks” http://www.ted.com/talks/nicholas_christakis_the_hidden_influence_of_social_networks/transcript