The number of refugees in the world has soared in the last decade as millions move across the globe for a safer life. Who are the refugees? Why do they leave their homelands? What impact do they have on the countries they go to? Do your research and write your essay in which you should:
· Explain clearly who refugees are
· Elaborate on the kind of life they end up leading
· Go into details of the impact they have on the society they become a part of.
What kind of essay will you end up writing? What I can tell you with certainty is that it will be a good and rational one but it will not fit in with any “formula” you have been taught and that is FINE.
Familiarize yourself with the issue:
· “The refugee experience” http://prezi.com/7bod3tcqzsm5/the-refugee-experience/ This presentation also includes videos.
· “Refugees” http://prezi.com/rjv9a_qtflbl/refugees/ This presentation comes with a video
Reading material to annotate: reasons why people become refugees
· “The root causes of refugee flows in a global context” http://motspluriels.arts.uwa.edu.au/MP2102fls.html
Reading material to annotate: impact on host country plus solutions
More challenging resources:
· “Social and economic impact of large refugee populations on host developing countries” http://www.unhcr.org/3ae68d0e10.html
· “Impact of refugees on the environment and appropriate response” http://www.odihpn.org/humanitarian-exchange-magazine/issue-04/the-impact-of-refugees-on-the-environment-and-appropriate-responses
Less challenging resources:
· “Impacts of refugees on society” http://blog.hopesforwomen.org/2013/01/29/impacts-of-refugees-on-societies-by-haya-madanat/
· “Refugee and host community relationships” http://www.uniteforsight.org/refugee-health/module7
· “Resettlement and barriers to resettlement” http://www.uniteforsight.org/refugee-health/module8
· “Education for resettled refugees” http://www.uniteforsight.org/refugee-health/module10
Videos to watch and make notes on:
· “To be a refugee” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwqK3B2ac8
· “Torn from home: my life as a refugee reflection video” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifi21XZX_MI
· “Torn from home: my life as a refugee” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSugg3ZaYBY