The enormous differences between developed countries and developing or underdeveloped countries leads countless people who are unable to get a decent job to make a living wage and put food on the table to seek their fortune in the West, the USA, China, India, The Gulf Countries and the like where there is more demand for labor. Yet is the sacrifice these people make worth it and is life in the host country all that it is cracked up to be? Who really benefits from labor migration? Research the topic and write an essay in which you discuss the effects of labor migration.
Familiarize yourself with the topic:
- “Migrant labor” http://prezi.com/kd6orf6rrod5/migrant-labor/ This brilliant presentation includes two highly informative videos which you should watch.
Reading material to annotate:
· “Europe’s shifting immigration dynamic” http://www.meforum.org/2107/europe-shifting-immigration-dynamic
· “The impact of recent migration on the London economy” http://www.lse.ac.uk/geographyandenvironment/research/london/pdf/theimpactofrecentimmigrationonthelondoneconomy.pdf
· “Top 10 migration issues of 2013” http://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/migration-information-source/top-10-migration-issues-2013
· “Hundreds of migrant workers are dying as a brand new Qatar is built” http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/14/migrant-workers-dying-qatar-world-cup
Videos to watch and make notes on:
· “Labor: exploitation of migrant labor to be crime”
· “Could these Ontario robots spell the end of labor migration?”