Colonialism and the great colonial empires have had enormous impact on certain parts of the world and changed the course of history. Colonialism is defined on Wikipedia as “the establishment, exploitation, maintenance, acquisition, and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory. It is a set of unequal relationships between the colonial power and the colony and often between the colonists and the indigenous population”. What led to the founding of these empires and effects did they have? Do your research and write an essay in which you discuss the causes and effects of this important period in history.
Familiarize yourself with the topic:
· “Colonialism” http://www.slideshare.net/Pushkin1799/colonialism-6948051
Reading material to annotate:
· “What caused the scramble for Africa” http://africanhistory.about.com/od/eracolonialism/a/ScrambleWhy.htm
· “The impact of colonialism” http://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/impact-colonialism This post includes every possible aspect of colonialism not just the impact
Videos to watch and make notes on:
· “The colonization of Africa and the Berlin conference: definition and purpose” http://education-portal.com/academy/lesson/the-colonization-of-africa-the-berlin-conference-definition-purpose.html#lesson You will have to register for a 5 day free trial to watch the full video but it is worth it and only takes a minute.
· “European imperialism: characteristics, motives and effects” http://education-portal.com/academy/lesson/european-imperialism-characteristics-motives-effects.html#lesson
· “Quick introduction to colonialism in Africa” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2Xa12YsX0
· “A brief history of European colonization of Africa” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pis5f085P3M“What is the impact of colonialism on Africa today?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7adlwy3sb4