It has long been believed by many that gender roles were largely biologically determined but such is very far from being the case as more and more new research indicates that gender roles are more of a social construct. Do your research and write an essay discussing the factors that determine gender roles.
This reading into writing activity was designed in collaboration with Gökçen Çiftlik to whom we owe thanks.
Familiarize yourself with the issue:
· “Gender roles: nature versus nurture” http://prezi.com/ebfpx9lh_23k/gender-roles-nature-vs-nurture/
· Gender roles: Margaret Mead (Sociology) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzE9_QvpE4
Reading material to annotate
· “The gender spectrum: social pressure to act girly or macho is stronger than you think” http://www.babble.com/toddler/children-gender-roles-girly-girls-macho-boys/
· “Advertisers fight to shape the image of acting like a girl” http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/marketing/advertisers-fighting-like-girls-to-reshape-the-female-image/article19452049/ Make sure to click on the links and watch the videos; especially the one on female behavior.
· “Male and female ability: differences down to society not genetics” http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/15/girls-boys-think-same-way
Documentaries to watch and make notes on:
· “Understanding the complexities of gender: Sam Killerman” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcPXtqdKjE
· “Gender Fluidity: Gabrielle Burton” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOkyc91eY90