Have you ever heard about the Soweto uprising? If you haven’t, you should have. Make up for it by doing some research and writing a short essay.
The purposes of the activity:
· To provide practice with past tenses and narrative structures
· To provide the opportunity to improve command of the language and competency in writing
· To provide an introduction to research based writing and all the skills it requires: notetaking annotating, paraphrasing and summarizing.
· To provide brief insight into an important historical event
Reading material to annotate: Less challenging texts
· “ 16 June 1976 Soweto student uprising” http://africanhistory.about.com/od/apartheid/a/Soweto-Uprising-Pt1.htm
· “June 16 Soweto uprising” http://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/june-16-soweto-youth-uprising
Reading material to annotate: More challenging texts.
· Soweto student uprising” http://overcomingapartheid.msu.edu/sidebar.php?id=65-258-3
Power point presentation:
· “1976 Soweto uprising” http://prezi.com/jh1gjrhpm3il/1976-soweto-uprising/
Watch the movie
· “Cry the Beloved Country” http://www.movie4k.to/Cry-the-Beloved-Country-watch-movie-891838.html