What is happening to our levels of intelligence as a species? Are we getting dumber or smarter? Do your research and find out then write an essay in which you put forward your point of view and support it.
Familiarize yourself with the issue:
- “Is technology really making us smarter?” https://prezi.com/c8f11ribouiw/is-technology-really-making-us-smarter/
Reading material to make notes on:
- “Are humans getting cleverer? http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31556802
- “Are humans getting smarter?” http://www.salon.com/2013/06/03/are_humans_getting_smarter_partner/
- “The Flynn effect: are we getting smarter?” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11200900/The-Flynn-effect-are-we-really-getting-smarter.html This site comes with a wonderful video which you should also watch and make notes on.
- “Rationing during WW 2 increased intelligence of Britons” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/11197958/Rationing-in-World-War-2-increased-intelligence-of-Britons.html
- “How we know that humans are getting smarter” http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-we-know-humans-getting-smarter-flynn-excerpt/
Videos to watch and make notes on:
- “Are humans getting smarter or dumber?” http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/28/humans-getting-dumber_n_2205541.html
- “The rise in IQ levels and its implications” https://www.ted.com/talks/james_flynn_why_our_iq_levels_are_higher_than_our_grandparents