Rape is a violent crime directed at women in the home, on the street, in the workplace and in one’s own district; the perpetrators are strangers or often familiar people or family members. The recent stories in the news show how widespread this horrific crime is. Do your research over two or three days and make sure you watch the two BBC documentaries. Then write about the causes of the problem and suggest solutions.
Refer to my second blog, The Essay Archive, for sample essays: https://theessayarchive.blogspot.com.tr/
My friend and colleague Çiğdem Dalay has helped in the preparation of this task.
Familiarize yourself with the issue:
· “The damage rape causes” https://prezi.com/rv4ui1sxzcau/the-damage-rape-causes/
· “Rape culture” https://prezi.com/bgqjwuinelkt/rape-culture/
Reading material to make notes on:
· “Why do some men rape? Looking for reasons behind gender based violence in Asia and the Pacific” http://devpolicy.org/why-do-some-men-rape-looking-for-reasons-behind-gender-based-violence-in-asia-and-the-pacific-20130918/
· “Rape” http://www.medicinenet.com/rape_sexual_assault/article.htm Make sure to read the whole section by clicking at the bottom of the page.
A victim’s perspective:
Videos to watch and make notes on:
· “Defining rape” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbc91OdgO0c
Two BBC Documentaries to watch and make notes on:
· “The unspeakable crime” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQmrqN7ZhzA
· “BBC 2 I never said yes- Interviews of rape victims ” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c77N87HH5TM