Slow reading or deep reading is defined as ‘the intentional reduction in the speed of reading, carried out to increase comprehension or pleasure’ in Wikipedia and many feel the skill is being lost to the detriment of mankind. It has also been proved that the loss of this ability is making irreversible changes in the structure of the brain. Do your research and determine what exactly slow or deep reading is, why the skill is being lost and the effects. Then write an essay where you discuss these causes and effects. In your conclusion suggest solutions.
This activity was suggested by Füsun Savcı who also contributed some of the material. We owe her thanks.
Videos to watch and make notes on
· “Psychotactics: why slow reading beats speed reading” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrAPVw0i57Y
· John Miedema “Slow Reading” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdaMcTR1_I4
Reading material to annotate
· “Is deep reading in trouble?” http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-living/ci_17008403?source=email
· “What it means to read in the digital age” http://criticalmargins.com/2012/05/14/what-it-means-to-read-in-the-digital-age/
· “The margins of the digital age: thoughts on immersive reading” http://criticalmargins.com/2011/03/06/in-the-margins-of-the-digital-age-thoughts-on-immersive-reading/
· “Friday reads: deep reading gives us empathy” http://criticalmargins.com/2013/06/07/deep-reading-gives-us-empathy/“Our deep reading brain: its digital evolution causes questions” http://www.nieman.harvard.edu/reports/article/102396/Our-Deep-Reading-Brain-Its-Digital-Evolution--Poses-Questions.aspx