Forget blood diamonds, do you know where the minerals used in your phone came from? Do you know how the gold that went into making your chain was obtained? Do you know what suffering, abuse and cruelty was and continues to be involved in the process? Do your research and find out. When you are done, introduce the issue (talk about the history), discuss the problem as it stands today, suggest solutions and last of all write a restatement.
Reading material to annotate
1. “Conflict minerals and the game industry: the problem” By: Robert Rath; http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/criticalintel/10039-Conflict-Minerals-and-the-Game-Industry-The-Problem
2. “Gold Market Breaches ‘Covered Up’” http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26341072
By: Andy Verity, BBC Newsnight
3. “Conflict minerals” http://www.raisehopeforcongo.org/content/initiatives/conflict-minerals This informative blog also includes videos all of which you should watch and make notes on.
4. “ Behind the problem of conflict minerals in the DR OF Congo: Governance” http://www.crisisgroup.org/en/regions/africa/central-africa/dr-congo/behind-the-problem-of-conflict-minerals-in-dr-congo-governance.aspx
5. “Are conflict mineral laws doing more harm than good in the Congo?” http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/conflict-mineral-laws-havent-helped-congolese.html
While reading this text, you will come across a link to a slide show and related articles on the same sight. Check them out as well.
Documentaries to watch:
Go to http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/search/?results=Conflict+Minerals and select at least one documentary to watch.