One of the greatest legends of the sea is that involving the brigantine the Mary Celeste. In order to find out what the mystery is, do some research and make notes (Remember notes are phrases not full sentences). Then use your notes and your own impressions to write the story of this famous ghost ship. Your suggested plan is as follows:
- The Introduction: where you introduce mysteries in general like the Bermuda triangle and then narrow down the topic to the Mary Celeste. Remember to have a thesis statement stating clearly that the story itself and a possible explanation will be discussed.
- The Development: where you have two paragraphs; one including the story and the second involving possible explanations.
- The Conclusion: where you write a restatement
The structures you will need to use
- Past Tenses
- Narrative structures
- Prepositions of place and direction
- Modals as alternatives to “maybe, perhaps and probably” if you have studied them.
Videos to watch and make notes on
· “Ghost Ship – Mary Celeste” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUSzRiiwAGc&feature=kp
· “In Search of the Ghost Ship Mary Celeste” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVW5zJLBQsw
Reading material to annotate
· “Abandoned ship: The Mary Celeste” http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/abandoned-ship-the-mary-celeste-174488104/?all
· “Tales of mystery and imagination” http://www.maryceleste.net/part1.htm (Make sure to click and then read: the true story, the court inquiry, Captain Briggs and the conclusion links to which are at the bottom of the page)