The plastic carrier bag has long been vilified by environmentalists as a menace but is its popular alternative, the paper bag, as innocent as it seems? Do your research and write an argumentative essay supporting plastic, paper or cloth carrier bags. Make your choice clear in the thesis statement you provide in your introduction.
We owe this interesting activity to Özlem Gündoğdu who did all the research and sent in the links. Thanks very much Özlem.
Reading material to annotate:
1. “Microplastics pose toxic threat to marine biodiversity” http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25186871
2. “Are plastic shopping bags a problem in our environment?” http://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/Are_Plastic_Shopping_Bags_a_Problem_in_Our_Environment Scroll down and check out the related links as well.
3. “Paper versus plastic” http://greenliving.lovetoknow.com/Paper_vs._Plastic Scroll down and check out the related links as well
4. “All about bags” http://www.allaboutbags.ca/papervplastic.html Check out the links on this page as well
5. “Paper or plastic? A new look at the bag scourge” http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB124473522987806581
Videos to watch and make notes on:
1. “Seven reasons to say no to plastics” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obl6bPqd3sQ
2. “The plastic bag debate” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x37H0gsOVnk
3. “The big bag debate- part 1” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ73nn8SS3M
4. “The big bag debate – part 2” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMT1eyupRJg
5. “The big bag debate – part 3” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUZn8EQl0A