Gypsies have been around for centuries as indigenous nomadic people who live in close knit societies with a culture and tradition of their own. They have figured in art and literature with their colorful garb and unique way of life as free spirits who live on the fringes of society. Yet the kind of life they lead has changed drastically over the years. Do your research and compare and contrast the gypsies of the past and those of the present. When you start writing your essay, you will find that it has the narrative qualities as well as discussing problems and suggesting solutions; this is perfectly normal. You could plan your essay in the following way:
In your introduction, introduce the Romani people.
In your first developmental paragraph, discuss the Romani people in history.
In your second developmental paragraph, discuss the Romani people in the current century.
In your conclusion, suggest solutions
This activity has been provided by Özlem Gündoğdu to whom we owe thanks.
Reading material to annotate
- “My gypsy childhood” http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/07/gypsy-childhood-prejudice-education
- “Romania’s child brides” http://www.theguardian.com/journalismcompetition/roberta-radu-shortlist-2011
- “A history of Romani people” http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/american-gypsies/articles/a-history-of-the-romani-people/
- “The history and origin of the Roma” http://romove.radio.cz/en/article/18158
- “The gypsy life” http://the-gypsy-life.com/gypsy-history/
Documentary to watch and make notes on:
- “Gypsy child thieves” http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/gypsy-child-thieves/
Videos to watch and make notes on:
- “Gypsy child thieves” BBC documentaryhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGDj0B5WQaA
- “Who are the Roma?” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyIJuWwe9fQ
- “Saving Roma children” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btd6Fpxr23k
Animation plus text to explore:
- “Gypsies. Roma, Travelers: an Animated History” http://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/voices/gypsies-roma-travellers-animated-history