By: Victoria Ward
Published: The Daily Telegraph; 21 April 2013; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10008707/Toddlers-becoming-so-addicted-to-iPads-they-require-therapy.html
Level of Difficulty: *
Note to the Student: This text should be covered in conjunction with “Twitter and Facebook Addicts Suffer Withdrawal Symptoms” and “Student Addiction to Technology Similar to Drug Cravings” as they cover different aspects of the same issue. The writing task should also be done when all three texts have been covered.
BEFORE YOU READ
· How many hours a day does a baby and a toddler sleep?
· What do they do while they are awake?
· How common is the use of television to occupy babies and toddlers?
· How common is the use of mobiles, iPads and the like*
· What effects do you think these gadgets have on young children?
· Why do parents do it?
NOW WATCH THE VIDEOS
NOW WATCH THE VIDEOS
· “How to break your kids addiction to iPads, cellphones YouTube” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzP1H5pUIbw
· Generation iPad: Could Device Hurt Toddlers' Development?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrQhmcPrhFw
1. Why did the parents of a 4 year old in the UK seek medical help?
2. What unique disadvantage of technology addiction is observed in children?
3. What is the long term effect of childhood internet addiction? You will need to use your own words as well.
4. What is the purpose of the digital detox program?
5. Why do parents insist on letting toddlers and babies play with mobiles and tablets?
The writing tasks combine all three texts on the issue. You will need to refer to the question sheet for “Student addiction to technology similar to drug cravings study finds” for the details of the writing task.
TODDLERS BECOMING SO ADDICTED TO İPADS THEY REQUİRE THERAPY
This wonderful little text is part of the trilogy of texts covering various aspects of addiction to technology and needs to be covered a long with the other two. The order doesn’t really matter but the writing task can only be done when all three have been covered. An example of the writing task is on Sample Essays.
1. Because she became increasingly distressed and inconsolable when the İPAD was taken away from her; OR, Because she had become addicted to using it up to four hours a day.
2. It prevented young people from forming normal social relationships leaving them drained by the constant interaction
3. Even the most shy kids, when they hit their teens, suddenly want to become sociable and popular and these ones can’t
4. To wean children off computer games and mobile phones
5. To entertain them