By: Andrew Hough
Published: The Daily Telegraph; 8 April 2013; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/8436831/Student-addiction-to-technology-similar-to-drug-cravings-study-finds.html
Level of Difficulty: *
Note to the Student: This task should be covered in conjunction with “Twitter and Facebook Addicts Suffer Withdrawal Symptoms” and “Toddlers becoming so Addicted to iPads They Require Therapy”. The writing tasks involve all three so don’t attempt them until you are ready.
BEFORE YOU READ
· Read the title of the text. Do you believe this kind of addiction is possible? Explain.
· What are the symptoms of addiction?
· Would you describe yourself as an addict?
· Do you know any addicts?
NOW WATCH THE VIDEOS
NOW WATCH THE VIDEOS
· “Technology addiction among teenagers” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0OSZkFhrVo“Very funny cartoon animation about smartphone addiction” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mwpmjf6cwE
1. What proof do we have that college students are addicted to technology?
2. What symptoms did the students in the study who didn’t use their gadgets experience?
3. What does “These” in the phrase “These included emotions such as …” refer to?
4. Which of their reactions to lack of technology came as a surprise to the students?
5. Why did the students in the study experience all these reactions?
6. In the study at Bournemouth University, what were the students allowed?
7. What hypothesis did the study confirm?
8. What positive outcome was noted?
THE FIRST WRITING TASK
After you have also completed the two other related writing tasks, write a combined summary of all three in no more than 100 words. You will find a 97 word example under Sample Essays.
THE SECOND WRITING TASK
Write a paragraph describing the disadvantages of excessive use of social networking sites. Remember: you will need to complete all three reading tasks first. You will find an example under Sample Essays.
STUDENTS ‘ADDICTION’ TO TECHNOLOGY ‘SIMILAR TO DRUG CRAVINGS’ STUDY FINDS KEY AND TEACHER’S NOTES
It is really wonderful to find three texts on a topical issue which have a wow factor and also lead to a combined – three text summary. Don’t let the summary scare you; it is very straightforward I assure you. I would suggest putting a few notes on the board or the screen, repeating the process for the other two texts and then crossing out repetitions – of which there are plenty. What is left will be very easy to summarize in a 100 words. The longer writing task should follow the summary; it isn’t an either or proposition; they both need to be done I feel. Examples are available under Sample Essays.
1. Nearly four in five students had significant mental and physical distress, panic, confusion and extreme isolation when forced to unplug from technology for a whole day.
2. Cravings, anxiety attacks, depression
3. The words the students used to describe their emotions
4. The psychological effects ( is enough; you don’t need the rest)
5. Because they have spent their whole lives plugged in
6. Landline telephones and books
7. That students were addicted to modern technology
8. The students got into more in-depth conversations; OR, a difference in conversation in terms of quality and depth