“A little-known personality trait may lie behind the political upheaval across the world”
By: Christian Jarret
Published: BBC, 3 March 2017, http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170303-how-collective-narcissism-is-directing-world-politics
Level of Difficulty:**
BEFORE YOU READ
· Collective Narcissism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WecBIoqA34s
· What is collective narcissism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUnxtgftNTY
1. Read the following test and answer the questions. When you are finished add up your score. The higher your score, the more narcissistic you are.
COLLECTIVE NARCISSISM SCALE
(GOLEC DE ZAVALA ET AL., 2009)
Instruction: Please think about (the name of the group) while responding to the items of the scale.
1 = Totally disagree to 6 = Totally agree
I wish other groups would more quickly recognize the authority of my group.
My group deserves special treatment.*
I will never be satisfied until my group gets the recognition it deserves.*
I insist upon my group getting the respect that is due to it.
It really makes me angry when others criticize my group.*
If my group had a major say in the world, the world would be a much better place.*
I do not get upset when people do not notice the achievements of my group. (reversely coded)
Not many people seem to fully understand the importance of my group.*
The true worth of my group is often misunderstood.
*Items with asterisk form a shorter version of the Collective Narcissism Scale
2. What is ironic about the character of the narcissist?
3. It is implied in the text that someone who has pride in his nation is different from a collective narcissist because he has ………………………………………
4. Take the following tests and determine your degree of bias:
5. We understand from the text and your own trial run of the test that the main criteria that determines the results is how….
6. What conclusion can be drawn from the polish example?
7. Why did the researchers ask participants to think about a time in their past when they had no control? To see if…
8. Look at the following Nazi slogans. Who was Hitler appealing to when he uttered them?
Führer befiehl, wir folgen dir! (Führer command, we'll follow you!)
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer ("One people, one empire, one leader") — Nazi campaign slogan.
9. Check out the top ten conspiracy theories on this website http://listverse.com/2007/08/21/top-10-conspiracy-theories/ Do you believe these theories? What does that make you?
10. What is the significance of the above attitude?
11. What is the reason for the Portuguese attitude to Germany and the Turkish attitude towards the EU? Be specific
12. Healthy national pride lacks the …………..and ……………which characterize collective narcissism.
Use all you have learnt to describe what kind of a person a collective narcissist is and why the increase of collective narcissism is such a threat. Before you start, access the following article, read it and make notes:
· Believe in conspiracy theories? You're probably a narcissist: People who doubt the moon landings are more likely to be selfish and attention-seeking
HOW COLLECTIVE NARCISSM IS DIRECTING WORLD POLITICS KEY AND TEACHERS’ NOTES
Collective narcissism is a growing trend in the world and has serious implications in all fields of life. The students should be able to relate all they read about to events taking place on the global stage and people in the news. As such, there is plenty of opportunity for lively discussion and a good writing task.
1. The answers will vary
2. He is grandiose and overconfident on the outside, but needy and vulnerable underneath
3. No doubt about his group’s prestige and he doesn’t crave its recognition by others
4. The answers will vary
5. How quick we are to respond when the same key is allocated to categories that we associate in our minds
6. People who don’t see their national in group in a positive light desperately seek affirmation of their country’s worth from other people
7. The participants scores on collective narcissism would increase
8. Collective narcissists
9. A collective narcissist;
10. It could fuel hostility between countries
11. The publics are collective narcissists and are motivated by revenge
12. The defensive and paranoid tone, the insatiable desire for due recognition from others