The private sector and the public sector both contribute to the economy and as such operate in certain similar ways but there are also some obvious differences. Do your research and write an essay comparing and contrasting these two sectors to prove which is more efficient. Follow the plan suggested below.
Thanks are due to Şeyma Yetgil who prepared this wonderful activity. You will find an example of this essay task under “sample classification and comparison contrast essays” so take a look when you are done.
1. In your introduction, express the importance of jobs in life and classify the sectors according to who is in charge. Provide a few examples and write your thesis statement where you state your reason for comparison: to prove which is more efficient.
2. In your first developmental paragraph, compare and contrast the two sectors in terms of working conditions and formulate your topic sentence accordingly. Consider the following: holidays and days off, working hours and extras like health insurance, transport, bonuses, meals and the like and promotion
3. In your second developmental paragraph, compare and contrast the two sectors in terms of output; formulate your topic sentence accordingly. Consider the following: innovation, the production process, the amount of production , speed of production and also impacts on the economy
4. In your conclusion, state which sector seems more efficient according to the comparison you made.
Reading material to annotate
1. “The differences between public sector and private sector employment” http://mdgardner.hubpages.com/hub/The-Differences-Between-Public-Sector-and-Private-Sector-Employment
2. “Public versus private sector; is the grass greener?” http://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/jan/23/public-private-sector-grass-greener
3. “The best places to work http://bestplacestowork.org/BPTW/overview/analysis/private_sector_comparison.php
4. “Government bureaucratic waste versus private sector efficiency” http://nontrivialpursuits.org/bureaucratic_waste.htm
5. “The private sector is superior; time to move on from the old dogma” http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/apr/25/private-sector-superiority-mythbuster
Videos to watch and make notes on