Extreme right wing parties have been gaining ground in national elections in many European countries; a trend that many find deeply disturbing. Extreme right wing views are also espoused by various organizations who are also sometimes blamed for turning to violence, the latest example being the recent arrests in Greece. What are the reasons for this shift and why are such parties becoming more popular? Do your research and write an essay analyzing the issue.
Reading material to annotate
1. “Culture Matters More; The far right is rising in many European countries in spite of their inability to provide a coherent message” http://www.economist.com/node/21560294 (This text focuses on causes)
2. “The Rise of Right Wing Extremism in Europe” http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-13-464_en.htm (This text introduces the problem and presents solutions)
3. “Explaining the Rapid Rise of the Xenophobic Right in Contemporary Europe” by James Mayfield, historian, researcher and translator from Stanford University. http://geocurrents.info/cultural-geography/the-rapid-rise-of-the-xenophobic-right-in-contemporary-europe (This text introduces the problem and analyses the causes in a historical context)
Videos to watch and make notes on
1. “The Rise of the European Far Right” by Dr Daphne Halikiopoulou http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0frxhFGHKw
2. “Rise of the Far Right Extremism in Europe” by Press TV Global News; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2AbK6F99M