The recent school shooting in Newtown and the horrific death of 27 children sent shock waves through US society and prompted the administration to act. President Obama set out a list of proposals after consulting with vice president Joe Biden who had been working with both sides. A similar shooting in Scotland some years ago prompted the UK government to introduce some of the toughest gun laws in Europe; the same is true for Norway. Both countries have since witnessed a sharp decrease in gun crime. Before studying the proposals, google the following:
· Piers Morgan on gun laws; access the videos, listen and make notes
· Barack Obama on gun laws; access the videos, listen and take notes
· Go to www.bbc.co.uk and read the following: US gun debate: Guns in numbers
· Go to http://onlinewsj.com and http://www.nytimes.com ; read about the new proposals concerning gun laws and reactions to them.
When your research is complete, consider the points below and any others you can think of to write a problem solution essay.
Obama’s key proposals are as follows:
· Reintroduce an expired ban on “military-style” assault weapons
· Limit ammunition magazines to ten rounds
· Background checks on all gun sales
· Ban on possession and sale of armour -piercing bullets
· Harsher penalties for gun traffickers, especially unlicensed dealers who buy guns for criminals
· Approve the appointment of the head of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives
· More focus on mental health issues
· Changing mind sets