Learning disabilities are neurologically-based processing problems. These processing problems can interfere with learning basic skills such as reading, writing and/or math. They can also interfere with higher level skills such as organization, time planning, abstract reasoning, long or short term memory and attention. It is important to realize that learning disabilities can affect an individual’s life beyond academics and can impact relationships with family, friends and in the workplace. Moreover, learning disabilities should not be confused with learning problems which are primarily the result of visual, hearing, or motor handicaps; of mental retardation; of emotional disturbance; or of environmental, cultural or economic disadvantages.
It should be noted that a learning disability cannot be cured or fixed; it is a lifelong challenge. However, with appropriate support and intervention, people with learning disabilities can achieve success in school, at work, in relationships, and in the community.
Prepared by: GÖZDE SIZAN, my teaching assistant at The School of Foreign Languages, Boğaziçi University
FAMILIARIZE YOURSELF WITH THE TOPIC
- Listening: What are learning disabilities and how to cope with them?
- Prezi: Learning Disabilities by Alyssa Tharp
- A short film on Learning Disabilities - Progressive Education Schools (9 mins)
- Learning Disabilities and Their Symptoms
- How to cope with learning disabilities
- Listening: Learning Development and Difficulties by LearnFast Education (8 videos)
COMMON TYPES OF LEARNING DISABILITIES
DYSCALCULIA - difficulty with math
- Understanding Dyscalculia
- Symptoms of Dyscalculia
- Prezi: Dyscalculia by James Braun
- My world without numbers | Line Rothmann by TEDx Talks (12 mins)
DYSLEXIA - difficulty reading
- Learning Dyslexia by Listening
- Prezi: Dyslexia by Colleen Packman
- I have Dyslexia. What does it mean?
- Dyslexia Explained: What's It Like Being Dyslexic? by Nessy (8 mins)
- A Short Film about Dyslexia by GRIMFilm (7 mins)
- Test for Dyslexia: 37 Common Traits
- The True Gifts of a Dyslexic Mind | Dean Bragonier | TEDxMarthasVineyard by TEDx Talk (17 mins)
DYSGRAPHIA - difficulty with writing
- Dyslexic Advantage | What is Dysgraphia? by Dyslexic Advantage (3 mins)
- Symptoms of a Teenager with Dysgraphia
- Understanding Dysgraphia https://www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/child-learning-disabilities/dysgraphia/understanding-dysgraphia
- Prezi: Dysgraphia by Sarandon Landers
DYSPRAXIA - difficulty with fine motor skills
- Dyspraxia by FixersUK (3 mins)
- What is Dyspraxia?
- Prezi: Dysapraxia by Kathryn Russel
- Dyspraxia Children: How to Help (2 mins)
- Childhood dyspraxia: James' story by NHS Choices (4 mins)
DYSPHASIA/APHASIA - difficulty with language
- What is Aphasia?
- Prezi: Broca’s Aphasia by Rose Jansen
- Aphasia: The disorder that makes you lose your words - Susan Wortman-Jutt by TED-Ed (6 mins)
- Wernicke's aphasia by Canale di cogmonaut (2 mins)
- Broca’s Aphasia by Megan Shevekhman (6 mins)
- Aphasia - Imagine life without words by Understanding Aphasia (7 mins)
AUDITORY PROCESSING DISORDER (APD) - difficulty hearing differences between sounds
- Learn more about APD by listening
- What is APD?
- Prezi: Auditory Processing Disorder by Jamie Goehring
- What is Auditory Processing Disorder (APD)? by Gemm Learning (2 mins)
- Causes, Symptoms and More: Auditory Processing Disorder by LearnFast Education (6 videos)
- Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) - How does it feel like? (4 mins)
VISUAL PROCESSING DISORDER – difficulty interpreting visual information
- Listening: Visual Impairment
- Visual Processing Issues
- Prezi: Visual Processing Disorder by NJ
- What are the differences between Dyslexia and Visual Processing Disorder?
- Visual Problems & Dyslexia by dystalk (11 mins)
- Visual Processing Disorder by Cameron Matabuena
- A Child's View of Sensory Processing by ESGWNRM (10 mins)
OTHER DISORDERS THAT MAKE LEARNING DIFFICULT
ADHD - difficulty focusing
- Learn more about ADHD by listening
- Prezi: ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) by Shevanie Singh
- Let Me Be Your Camera - Understanding ADHD - ADHDPerkins (3mins)
- 10 Tips for Going to College With ADHD
- What ADHD Feels Like by BuzzFeedVideo (3mins)
- ADHD As A Difference In Cognition, Not A Disorder: Stephen Tonti by TEDxTalks(14 mins)
AUTISM - pervasive developmental disorders
- Listening: Autism
- What is Autism?
- What is Autism? Do you know the signs? by behaviorfrontiers (15 mins)
- What is Autism? by ScottishAutism
- Living with Autism - Ky's Story by Autism Queensland (5 mins)
- BBC - My Autism and Me by AutismAssociation’s Channel (15 mins)
- Stranger In The Family (Autism Documentary) - Real Stories (52 mins)
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
- Prezi: Learning disabilities in College Students
- College Steps: Support for Students with Autism or Learning Disabilities by The College Steps (14 mins)
- As They See It: Technology for Students with Learning Disabilities by Bookshare (4 mins)
- Study tips for students with learning disabilities by WWLP-22News (7 mins)
- 10 Tips for College Students with Disabilities