There is a trend in the current climate to turn away from the popular raison d’être of consumerism and the dictates of the free market economy and embrace a simpler life. This view of life, termed voluntary simplicity, has long had its followers especially during the current financial crisis and rises in the levels of unemployment. Voluntary simplicity is a philosophy or a view of life that embraces frugality, the lack of wastefulness and the shop until you drop philosophy believing that it leads to a happier and more fulfilling life. Research the topic and write an essay; it is up to you to decide what kind of essay. One suggestion would be describing what exactly voluntary simplicity is and the stating your opinions on the trend rather like a reaction essay. Consider the links below and any others you wish listen and annotate. A word of warning: complete your research before setting about writing for maximum benefit.
1. What is voluntary simplicity: http://simplicitycollective.com/start-here/what-is-voluntary-simplicity-2
2. Why we choose voluntary simplicity? That very ordinary life and There is no one way to do simple living right. http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/
3. What is voluntary simplicity? http://www.simplesandiego.org/pages/what_is_vs.html
1. Voluntary simplicity: the poetic alternative to consumer culture.
2. Voluntary simplicity: Simple living today; text and video: http://www.simple-living-today.com/voluntarysimplicity.html
3. Voluntary simplicity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLQGwJqJf4
4. Adventures in voluntary simplicity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxM9L-Q-b5A